Contact Us | About the Society | Membership | Sitemap   

 
  CN Red Deer station 1955

Forth Junction Project
CNR Railway Stations of
Central Alberta

 
Forth Junction Project Vision Sharing Historical Perspective Ground Transportation
Heritage Preservation
Forth Junction
Heritage Society


Canadian National Railway Stations
built in Central Alberta
(updated May 2014)

Usually, when a new rail line was built, the railway placed a temporary or portable station (sometimes a boxcar) at a location until it was determined what kind of station would be appropriate. Sometimes the 'temporary' station was in place for several years. The following are some of the 'permanent' stations built by the Canadian Northern, Grand Trunk Pacific and Canadian National in Central Alberta. In many cases, the 'permanent' station was replaced by a larger one if the railway or the community had special significance.

Canadian Northern 2nd class station Plan 39 (1911-13)
 
Big Valley CN Station

Big Valley
(Alberta Midland arrived 1911 - division point 1914-1923) built 1912; stucco applied 1942; closed 1967; line purchased by Central Western Railway 1986; line purchased by Alberta Prairie Railway Excursions 1998; station restored by Canadian Northern Society as historic site and terminus of Alberta Prairie Steam Tours

Stettler Canadian Northern station 
Stettler
(Alberta Midland arrived 1911) built 1911; stucco applied 1937; relocated a few blocks to Town & Country Museum Stettler
 
Hanna built 1913; stucco applied 1937; closed 1990; designated historic site; plans to relocate and restore
 
Similar stations were built at Athabasca, Alberta and Kindersley, Saskatchewan

 
Note: Alberta Midland Railway was a wholly-owned subsidiary of Canadian Northern Railway.

Canadian Northern 3rd class station Plan 29 (1911-19)
Sylvan Lake CNR station

Sylvan Lake
(CNWR arrived 1911) built 1913; demolished or removed
 

Elspeth
(CNWR arrived 1912) built 1913; demolished
 

Eckville
(CNWR arrived 1912) built 1912; demolished or removed
 

Leslieville
(CNWR arrived 1912) built 1912; stucco applied 1945; demolished or removed
 
Prentiss (CNWR arrived 1911) built 1912; demolished or removed
 
Haynes
(CNWR arrived 1911) built 1913; demolished or removed
 
rendering of Canadian Northern 3rd class stationAlix (CNWR arrived 1911) built 1912; abandoned 1922 after creation of Canadian National and change of crew from Big Valley to Mirror; relocated to GTP site for Three Hills sub station in 1927; demolished 1975
 
Nevis
(CNWR arrived 1911) built 1912; sold 1962
 
Donalda
(Alberta Midland arrived 1911) built 1911; stucco applied 1937; demolished; a CNor 4th class 1909 station was relocated to the Donalda site from Vandura Saskatchewan and restored
 

CNR Camrose station
Meeting Creek (Alberta Midland arrived 1911) built 1913; stucco applied 1937; closed 1981; restored 1987 on original site
 

Camrose (Alberta Midland arrived 1911) built 1911; stucco applied 1937; closed 1988; restored and relocated 1993; used as museum and headquarters for CNor Historical Society
 
Similar stations were built at Drumheller, Munson, Morrin, Delia and Red Willow
 
Note: CNWR (Canadian Northern Western Railway) and Alberta Midland Railway were subsidiaries of Canadian Northern created to take advantage of government subsidies.

Canadian Northern Freight and Passenger Shelter
 
Joffre
(CNWR arrived 1911) built 1916; destroyed by fire 1961
 
Burbank
(CNWR arrived 1911) built 1915; relocated 1959
 
Briggs
(CNWR arrived 1911) built 1919; removed
 
Horberg
(CNWR arrived 1914) built 1918; closed 1955; removed 1959
 
Saunders
(CNWR arrived 1914) built 1918; closed 1955; removed 1959
 
Alexo/Stolberg
(CNWR arrived 1914) built 1924

Mirror CNR station
rendering of Mirror GTP stationGrand Trunk Pacific
Design 'E' Mirror Station Plan 157
(1911-12)

(GTP arrived in 1911; Mirror becomes division point 1911 between Edmonton and Calgary)
 

Modified Type E built 1911; stucco applied 1944; destroyed by fire 1975
 

Similar stations were built at Camrose and Tofield Alberta as well as Battleford and Yorkton, Sask.



Grand Trunk Pacific Type E station (1911-13)
 
Alix (GTP arrived 1911) built 1911; converted to section house 1927
Ardley CNR station on farm

Ardley
(GTP arrived 1911) built 1911; stucco applied 1936; closed 1965; purchased for $30 and relocated 1967 to farm outside of community
Delburne CN Station at Anthony Henday Museum

Delburne
(GTP arrived 1911) built 1912; stucco applied 1922; relocated a few blocks in 1978 to Anthony Henday Museum
 
Elnora
(GTP arrived 1911) built 1911; stucco applied 1922; demolished 1975
 

Huxley
(GTP arrived 1912) built 1913; stucco applied 1922; demolished 1976

Trochu (GTP arrived 1912) built 1912; stucco applied 1922; replaced 1959 with 'modern' design (see below)
 

Three Hills (GTP arrived 1912) built 1912 on west side of tracks; replaced in 1919 by GTP Type F (stuccoed) on east side of tracks; moved to east side of tracks and used as section house; demolished 1975 (original Type E)
 
rendering of GTP Type E stationBashaw
(GTP arrived 1911) built 1911; stucco applied 1922; demolished or removed
 
Similar stations were built at Duhamel, New Norway, Beiseker, Irricana, Spruce Grove, Stony Plain, Hinton and 39 other Alberta locations. Over 350 stations in the Class E category were built in Western Canada.
 

Three Hills GTP Type F stationGrand Trunk Pacific Type F station
(1913-1920)
 
Three Hills
(GTP arrived 1912) built 1919 on east side of tracks to replace Type E station on west side of tracks; relocated a few blocks to Kneehill Historical Museum 1985
 
Only 2 others of this type were built in Alberta and 9 were built in Saskatchewan. The Three Hills station is the only one known to have survived.
CNWR station Nordegg 1925 

Canadian Northern 3rd class station
Plan 75 (1914-1922)
 
Nordegg/Brazeau
(CNWR arrived 1914) built 1914; closed 1955; demolished or removed; Only one of its plan type in Alberta; 4 in Sask.; 3 in Man.
 
Note: a number of stations of unknown type, possibly portables, were built along the CNWR between Rocky Mountain House and Nordegg in 1913-14 at Horburg, Saunders and probably other localities
 
Canadian Northern 3rd class station Plan 72 (1915-1924)

 
Warden Jct. (Alberta Midland and CNWR arrived 1911) built 1919 to replace CNor 4th class station destroyed by fire 1919; stuccoed 1942; sold and demolished 1984
 

Rowley built 1922 to replace small freight and passenger station; stucco applied 1939; rail line abandoned; station restored in 1980s by Canadian Northern Society
 
Similar stations were built at 20 other Alberta locations (including 4 along the Drumheller sub between Hanna and Calgary), 29 in Sask.; 7 in Man.

Lochearn CN/CP station Rocky Mountain House
CNWR/CPR Lochearn station at Rocky Mountain House
CPR Standard A3 station (1920)
 
Rocky Mountain House (CNWR arrived 1912, Alberta Central arrived 1914 but CNWR used CPR/ACR river bridge built in 1912 requiring 4 miles of shared trackage) shared CPR Standard A3 station built 1920 to replace portables; named 'Lochearn' until at least mid-1920s, later station renamed 'Rocky Mtn House'; destroyed by fire 1967

 

Canadian National Red Deer station Plan 148 (1923)
 

Red Deer CNR station 1955
aerial view of CN Red Deer station 1955Red Deer

(CNWR arrived 1911 on north side of river as part of plan for a Calgary-Edmonton north-south route; Red Deer River bridge constructed 1920 by Canadian National at mouth of Waskasoo Creek to link with east end of downtown Red Deer; bridge abandoned 1941 due to washouts but link with CPR downtown yards continued service)


Red Deer CNR station 1923
 

New station built 1923 (replacing temporary station) as a one-of-a-kind modified Canadian National Railways third class station similar to but significantly different than the Canadian Northern third class stations built prior to implementation of CNR standard third class plan;
 
Red Deer CNR station 195662'x24', platform 300'x12'; main floor had ticket office, waiting rooms, toilets, baggage and express; residence on 2nd floor; after several bridge washouts, new link made to CPR yards further west; last passenger train (mixed) 1955; closed and demolished 1960 with yards relocated back to north side of river and station land redeveloped for Co-op Shopping Centre; b/w photos indicate change of paint scheme in 1955 from white/grey with green trim to oxide red with cream trim.
 
CN Trochu station replacement 1959

Canadian National Trochu station
Plan 365 (1959)

 
Trochu
(GTP arrived 1912) built 1959 to replace an existing Type E; closed 1971; demolished


 

 
Railway Stations of the Region
C & ER Combination Stations
Portable Stations
Red Deer CPR 1910 Station
Role of Railway Stations
Red Deer's 4 Stations
CPR Stations in Central Alberta
CNR Stations in Central Alberta
Multiple Station Communities
Station Plans
 

 
The Railways of Central Alberta
Calgary & Edmonton Railway
C & E Railway at Red Deer
Alberta Central Railway
Canadian Northern Railway
Canadian Northern Western RR
Canadian National Railway in RD
Grand Trunk Pacific Central Alberta
Lacombe & Blindman Valley RR
Timetable Excerpts
 
 
Trails, Transit, Trains
Trails and Trains Overview
Trains and Transit Overview

Milestones 1910-13
Calgary Edmonton Trail
Transit in Central Alberta
Red Deer Transit

Jubilee 3001 Chinook
Locomotives Central Alberta
Rise and Fall of Passenger Rail

 

Bridges, Structures, Heritage
Rail Structures of Region
Central Alberta Rail Bridges

Mintlaw Trestle
Alberta's Railway Bridges
Western Canada Rail Bridges



 

 

Home | Why Forth Junction? | FAQ | Media News
 Collections Policy | Bibliography | Copyright, Terms of Use, Privacy Policy

Copyright 2009-2015 Forth Junction Heritage Society. All Rights Reserved.                          website developed by Central Alberta Websites