Contact Us | About the Society | Membership | Sitemap   

 
  CPR Red Deer station and park

Forth Junction Project
CPR Portable Railway Stations of Central Alberta

 
Forth Junction Project Vision Sharing Historical Perspective Ground Transportation
Heritage Preservation
Forth Junction
Heritage Society


Most communities had portable
(or temporary) stations for a time


Usually, when a new rail line was built, the railway placed a temporary (sometimes a boxcar) or portable station at a location until it was determined what kind of station would be appropriate. Sometimes the 'temporary' station was in place for several years.
 
CPR Standard Portable Stations (1902-1931)
 
rendering of typical CPR portable stationAbout 400 of these small stations were built in Western Canada and, in many communities, the 'portable' station was the only one they ever had. Some portables replaced even smaller temporary stations. Many portables were replaced by larger stations and were repurposed for a variety of uses including freight houses or bunk houses. Some portable stations were moved from place to place and occasionally replaced larger stations when they were no longer needed.
 
original portable Hobbema station at ACR Museum near WetaskiwinHobbema
(C & E Railway arrived 1891) likely built around 1902, sold and removed (relocated to ACR Museum near Wetaskiwin), replaced 1927 with Standard #14A station (see below)
Millet
(C & E Railway arrived 1891) built 1902, replaced 1907 with Standard #5 station
Ellerslie
(C & E Railway arrived 1891) built 1918, removed 1929, relocated to Sedgewick
Nisku
(C & E Railway arrived 1891) built 1929, demolished
Tees
(Lacombe subdivision arrived 1905) built 1905, sold and removed 1979, relocated to Rimbey Paskapoo Park
Hardisty
(Wetaskiwin subdivision arrived 1905) built 1910, replaced 1910 with Branchline Subdivision depot
Gwynne
(Wetaskiwin subdivision arrived 1905) built 1912, demolished
Mintlaw
(Alberta Central Railway arrived 1912) built 1912 small permanent station later removed, demolished
Cygnet (Alberta Central Railway arrived 1912) built 1912 small temporary station later removed, demolished
Sylvan Lake
(Alberta Central Railway arrived 1912) built 1912 small temporary station replaced in 1924 by Standard #14A station (see below)
Benalto
(Alberta Central Railway arrived 1913) built 1913 small temporary station replaced in 1928 by Standard #14A station (see below)
Eckville
(Kootuk & Crawshaw stations 1.5 miles apart on each side of Medicine River valley no longer exist) (Alberta Central Railway arrived 1913) built 1914 small temporary stations, later removed, demolished 
Hespero (ACR arrived 1913) built 1914 small temporary station later removed, demolished
Alhambra (Alberta Central Railway arrived 1914) small temporary station built 1914, replaced by portable station 1931, sold and removed 1960 
Condor
(Alberta Central Railway arrived 1914) small temporary station built 1914, replaced by portable station 1923, demolished 1963 
Lochearn (Rocky Mountain House)
(Alberta Central Railway arrived 1914) small temporary portable station built 1915, shared with Canadian Northern Western Railway, replaced 1920 with CPR Standard A3 station (see below)
Bentley
(Lacombe & Blindman Valley Electric Railway arrived 1917) portable 1917 replaced in 1929 with CPR Standard #14A  (see below)
Rimbey
(Lacombe & Blindman Valley Electric Railway arrived 1920) boxcar used as station 1920, replaced by portable sometime later; demolished
Bluffton
(Lacombe & Blindman Valley Electric Railway arrived 1921) built 1929, demolished 1968
Breton
(Lacombe & Blindman Valley Electric Railway arrived 1921) built 1930, replaced 1942 with Standard #4A station
Wimborne
(Acme subdivision arrived 1930) built 1930, 10'x34' 3-room, sold and removed 1969, currently privately owned
Sunnyslope
(Acme subdivision arrived 1930) built 1930, 10'x27' 2-room, sold and removed, renovated, currently privately owned
 
At least 100 of these stations were built in Alberta. Almost 300 were built in Saskatchewan and under 30 were built in Manitoba and British Columbia.
 
At least four of this type have survived in Central Alberta, the Hobbema station at the ACR Museum near Wetaskiwin, the Tees station at Paskapoo Park in Rimbey, and two privately owned -- the Wimborne and Sunnyslope stations.
 

 
Railway Stations of the Region
C & ER Combination Stations
Portable Stations
Red Deer CPR 1910 Station
Role of Railway Stations
Red Deer's 4 Stations
CPR Stations in Central Alberta
CNR Stations in Central Alberta
Multiple Station Communities
Station Plans
 

 
The Railways of Central Alberta
Calgary & Edmonton Railway
C & E Railway at Red Deer
Alberta Central Railway
Canadian Northern Railway
Canadian Northern Western RR
Canadian National Railway in RD
Grand Trunk Pacific Central Alberta
Lacombe & Blindman Valley RR
Timetable Excerpts
 
 
Trails, Transit, Trains
Trails and Trains Overview
Trains and Transit Overview

Milestones 1910-13
Calgary Edmonton Trail
Transit in Central Alberta
Red Deer Transit

Jubilee 3001 Chinook
Locomotives Central Alberta
Rise and Fall of Passenger Rail

 

Bridges, Structures, Heritage
Rail Structures of Region
Central Alberta Rail Bridges

Mintlaw Trestle
Alberta's Railway Bridges
Western Canada Rail Bridges



 

 

Home | Why Forth Junction? | FAQ | Media News
 Collections Policy | Bibliography | Copyright, Terms of Use, Privacy Policy

Copyright 2009-2015 Forth Junction Heritage Society. All Rights Reserved.                          website developed by Central Alberta Websites