Contact Us | About the Society | Membership | Sitemap   

 
  CPR Red Deer station and park 1912 - RD Archives

Forth Junction Project
Railway Stations of
Central Alberta

 
Forth Junction Project Vision Sharing Historical Perspective Ground Transportation
Heritage Preservation
Forth Junction
Heritage Society

Railways of Central Alberta

Railway Stations

Rail Bridges & Structures

Trains, Transit & Trails

Central Alberta Overview

C&ER Combination Stations

Historic Red Deer 1910 CPR 'Jewel'

4 Stations of Red Deer

Central Alberta CPR Station Styles

Central Alberta CNR Station Styles

Portable Stations

Multiple Station Communities

The railway stations of Central Alberta
by railway and subdivision
(updated March 2022)

Photo descriptions and credits at bottom of page. 
 
Some communities in Central Alberta had railway stations for more than one railway. Those communities included Red Deer, Sylvan Lake, Eckville, Stettler, Camrose and Alix. The station at Rocky Mountain House was shared by two railroads. Although each community has unique characteristics as does the region as a whole, in many ways Central Alberta represents the settlement, development and character of Western Canada.

There were at least five stations in Central Alberta that are/were unique.

preserved historic CPR Red Deer station 2007 - PettypieceThe CPR Red Deer station is one of five chateau-style brick stations built as landmarks downtown at major divisional points in Western Canada. Each station is architecturally unique but of similar style with distinctive octagonal tower. All have survived as historic resources in each of the five communities. The Red Deer station was close to demolition but was saved due to achieving historic designation at all three government levels. It is now privately-owned and used for offices. It remains at its original dominant position at the head of Ross Street.

CNR Red Deer station 1955 - Red Deer ArchivesThe CNR Red Deer station was originally planned by Canadian Northern but built by CN soon after Canadian National was created and before CN had developed standard designs. As a result, it was a unique blend of Canadian Northern and Canadian National 3rd class station characteristics. It was demolished in 1960 to make way for a shopping centre development after CN relocated its facilities to the north side of the river.

former original ACR Red Deer station as residence 2009 - PettypieceThe Alberta Central Railway (later absorbed by Canadian Pacific) built a station at Red Deer but it was never used because the railway went bankrupt before it became operational. The station was relocated at least twice and is currently used as a private residence.

The second CPR Lacombe station was a unique variation of two similar stations in Alberta at Coronation and Hardisty. Located on the main Edmonton-Calgary line, the station also served the line east to Coronation. It was demolished in 1978 but replicated as an office building on the opposite side of the tracks in 2007.

Wetaskiwin CPR station 1914The second CPR Wetaskiwin station was built with a unique second storey treatment of a curved swept dormer. The ground floor is somewhat similar to the second Lacombe station. Located on the main Edmonton-Calgary line, the station also served the line east to Camrose, Saskatoon and Winnipeg. Currently used for commercial use.

In addition to these five stations, several other station designs were built in Central Alberta, including at least 12 distinct styles of Canadian Pacific stations plus variations and 8 styles of Canadian National stations most of which were originally either Canadian Northern or Grand Trunk Pacific styles.

Stations in Central Alberta by design style: Canadian Pacific; Canadian National


Stations in Central Alberta by railroad included:

Canadian Pacific
Stations along the former Calgary & Edmonton Railway
(mainline between Calgary and Edmonton built 1890-91; still active)
Red Deer CPR new and old stations 1911 - Red Deer ArchivesRed Deer Subdivision south of Red Deer
 
Red Deer
(division point 1908 to present) original wood combination station built in 1891 (similar to Innisfail, Olds, Ponoka, first Lacombe and first Wetaskiwin stations); moved south for construction of new station and converted to freight house; demolished 1965;
Red Deer CPR station trackside 1985 - Pettypiecenew brick station (126'x36') completed in 1910; expanded 1912; major renovation 1969; passenger service ended 1985; closed 1991 with rail yard relocation to west side of city; station restored 1996, designated historic site and used for offices; railyard land redeveloped for commercial and residential

 Penhold CPR 1904 #2 station 1940 - Red Deer Archives

Penhold
built 1904 (CPR Standard #2 similar to Bowden and Blackfalds stations); renovated 1941; demolished; replicated as office building a few blocks from original site
 
Innisfail CPR (C&ER) station 1890s - Glenbow Archives
Innisfail
built 1890 (similar to Olds and Ponoka stations that survived into the 1960s) closed 1961; demolished; replaced by cinder block station further north
Bowden station at Innisfail Historical Village - Pettypiece

Bowden
built 1904 (CPR Standard #2 similar to Penhold and Blackfalds stations); closed 1968; relocated to Historical Village Innisfail 1974


Olds built 1891 (wood combination station similar to Innisfail, Carstairs, Ponoka and first Red Deer, Lacombe, Wetaskiwin stations), addition 1913; closed 1962; demolished; replaced by cinder block station
Didsbury CPR station today - Pettypiece

Didsbury built 1904 (Pratt style); addition 1907; retired 1977; turned 180 degrees & restored 1991; provincial historic site; community use


Carstairs built 1891 (wood combination station similar to Olds); demolished 1978
Crossfield CPR 4A station as residence - Pettypiece

Crossfield
built 1904 (CPR Standard #2 similar to Bowden station) destroyed by fire; replaced 1933 with CPR Standard #4 station; retired; removed 1974 private residence

Airdrie built 1890 (wood combination station similar to Olds); removed

Canadian Pacific
Stations along the former Calgary & Edmonton Railway
(mainline between Calgary and Edmonton built 1890-91; still active)
Leduc Subdivision
north of Red Deer

Blackfalds built 1904 (CPR Standard #2 similar to Bowden and Penhold stations); sold 1968; demolished

Lacombe CPR station 1916 - CP ArchivesLacombe original wooden combination station built 1892 (similar to Ponoka, Innisfail and Olds and first Red Deer and Wetaskiwin stations); addition 1910; damaged by explosion 1911 (1 person killed); special woodframe station built 1911; opened late 1911 before completion in early 1912; closed 1968; demolished 1978; replicated as office building 2007 on opposite side of tracks
Ponoka C&ER combination station 1910 - Fort Ostell Museum
Ponoka combination station built 1891 (similar to Innisfail and Olds stations and first Red Deer, Lacombe and Wetaskiwin stations); demolished

Hobbema (now Maskwacis) first station portable; new station built 1928 (CPR Standard #14A similar to Sylvan Lake, Benalto, Bentley and Stettler stations); sold 1968

Wetaskiwin CPR station 1914Wetaskiwin original wooden combination station built 1891 (similar to Ponoka, Innisfail and Olds station and first Lacombe and Red Deer stations); new station built 1907-08; addition 1913; still onsite; scaled down replication built at Alberta Central Railway Museum southeast of city

Millet first station portable 1902; new station built 1907 (CPR Standard #5 similar to Alix and first Stettler station); sold 1968
Leduc CPR A2 station with Insul-Brick 1972
Leduc original combination station (similar to Ponoka, Innisfail and Olds stations); replaced by Standard A2 Western station 1914; demolished 1985

Nisku portable placed 1929

Ellerslie portable placed 1918; relocated to Sedgewick 1929

Strathcona (South Edmonton) original wooden combination station built 1891 (similar to Leduc, Ponoka, Wetaskiwin, Lacombe, Red Deer, Innisfail, Olds); replaced by special brick station built 1908

Canadian Pacific
Stations along the former Alberta Central Railway west of Red Deer (Alberta Central Subdivision)

(line built 1910-14; closed 1981)

former ACR station used as residence - PettypieceRed Deer built 1911 never used as station; relocated twice as private residence; now west of Red Deer

Mintlaw small station demolished or removed
Sylvan Lake CPR #14A station
Sylvan Lake original portable replaced by CPR Standard #14A in 1924 (similar to Benalto, Hobbema, Bentley and Stettler stations); sold 1969

Benalto station used as residence 2009 - PettypieceBenalto original portable replaced by CPR Standard #14A in 1928 (similar to Sylvan Lake station); sold 1970; relocated twice as private residence to locations near Red Deer; donated and relocated back to Benalto 2013

Eckville portable demolished or removed

Condor portable demolished or removed

Alhambra portable demolished or removed

Rocky Mountain House (Lochearn) original station replaced by CPR Standard A3 station in 1920 in downtown Rocky Mountain House; shared with Canadian National, at times with services by both railways; closed and sold; destroyed by fire 1967

Canadian Pacific
Stations along the Lacombe Subdivision east of Lacombe

(line built 1905-06; used frequently Red Deer to Joffre area and occasionally to Stettler)

Clive CPR Standard A2 Western station
Clive built 1912 (CPR Standard A2 Western); sold 1968

Tees
built around 1905; relocated to Paskapoo Park in Rimbey 1979

Alix built 1910 (CPR Standard #5); demolished 1958

Nevis built 1912 (CPR Standard A2 Western); sold 1964

Erskine built 1910 (CPR Standard A2 Western); demolished 1968
Stettler CPR #14A station
Stettler original built 1905 (CPR Standard #5)destroyed by fire 1925; new station built 1925 (CPR Standard #14A similar to Sylvan Lake, Benalto, Bentley and Hobbema stations); retired 1968; demolished

Botha, Gadsby built 1910 (CPR Standard #5); retired 1968

Castor built 1910 (CPR Standard #5); destroyed by fire 1937; replaced by CPR Standard A2 Western; sold 1969; preserved as museum

Canadian Pacific
Stations along the Wetaskiwin Subdivision east of Wetaskiwin

(line built 1905; Winnipeg to Edmonton line still active)

Camrose CPR station 1912 - Glenbow Archives
Bittern Lake built 1911 (CPR Standard A2 Western); sold 1961; demolished

Ervick
built 1906 (CPR Standard #5); removed

Camrose
original station built 1907 (CPR Standard #10); replaced 1956 with masonry special station; removed; demolished

Canadian Pacific
Stations along the former Lacombe & Blindman Valley Railway
(later renamed Lacombe and Northwestern Railway and later Hoadley subdivision)
west of Lacombe
(built 1917-19; used occasionally)
Gull Lake Aspen Beach CPR station
Aspen Beach/Gull Lake small station with wide roofline built 1917; closed in the 1950s and sold, donated to Gull Lake 1998, currently used as museum

Bentley
portable 1917; new station built 1929 (CPR Standard #14A similar to Sylvan Lake, Benalto, Hobbema and Stettler stations); retired 1968; demolished

Rimbey portable 1920; removed

 
Canadian Pacific
Stations along the Acme Subdivision northeast of Calgary
(branchline built 1930 from Acme; abandoned 1995; donated to Trans Canada Trail Foundation)

Wimborne portable 1930; sold 1969

Torrington built 1930 (CPR Standard #14A similar to Sylvan Lake, Benalto, Stettler); sold 1969; demolished

Acme built 1910 (CPR Standard #5 similar to Gull Lake); sold 1969

Beiseker CPR A2 Western station 2011 - PettypieceCanadian Pacific
Stations along the Langdon Subdivision northeast of Calgary
(line built 1910 from Calgary to Acme; extended to East Coulee 1928; abandoned 1995)

Beiseker built 1910 (CPR Standard A2 Western); sold 1970; now museum & town hall

Irricana built 1910 (CPR Standard #5 similar to Alix and 1st Stettler); removed

Red Deer CNR station 1955 - Red Deer Archives
Canadian National
Stations along the former Canadian Northern Western Railway (Brazeau subdivision) Mirror-Red Deer-Rocky Mountain House-Nordegg
(line still active from Mirror to Rocky Mountain House and Ram River)

Red Deer built 1923 (replacing temporary station) as a modified one-of-a-kind Canadian National Railways third class station similar to but significantly different than the Canadian Northern third class stations; last passenger service 1955; closed and demolished 1960 with yards relocated to north side of river and land redeveloped for Co-op Shopping Centre
Sylvan Lake CNR station c1940 - SL Archives
Canadian National
Stations along the former Canadian Northern Western Railway (Brazeau subdivision) Mirror-Red Deer-Rocky Mountain House-Nordegg
(line still active from Mirror to Rocky Mountain House and Ram River)
Brazeau subdivision
west of Red Deer to Rocky Mountain House:

Briggs
built 1919 Freight and passenger shelter

Sylvan Lake
built 1913 (CNor 3rd class); demolished or removed
Lochearn CN/CP station Rocky Mountain House 1921
Elspeth built 1913 (CNor 3rd class); demolished

Eckville built 1912 (CNor 3rd class); demolished or removed

Leslieville built 1912 (CNor 3rd class); stucco applied 1945; demolished or removed

Rocky Mountain House
Lochearn station built by and shared with Canadian Pacific as a CPR Standard A3 in 1920; destroyed by fire 1967
 
Canadian National
Stations along the former Canadian Northern Western Railway (Brazeau subdivision) Mirror-Red Deer-Rocky Mountain House-Nordegg
(line still active from Mirror to Rocky Mountain House and Ram River)
Brazeau subdivision
west of Rocky Mountain House (abandoned 1955)

Horberg built 1918 Freight and passenger shelter; closed 1955; removed 1959

Saunders built 1918 Freight and passenger shelter; closed 1955; removed 1959

Alexo/Stolberg built 1924 Freight and passenger shelter

Nordegg/Brazeau built 1914 (CNor 3rd class); stuccoed 1945; closed 1955; sold 1962; demolished or removed
 
Canadian National
Stations along the former Canadian Northern Western Railway (Brazeau subdivision)
Mirror-Red Deer-Rocky Mountain House-Nordegg
(line still active from Mirror to Rocky Mountain House and Ram River)Brazeau subdivision east of Red Deer to Alix Jct.:
Prentiss CNor 3rd class station 1945 - Ellis photo
Burbank built 1915 Freight and passenger shelter; relocated 1959

Prentiss
built 1912 (CNor 3rd class) demolished or removed

Joffre built 1916 Freight and passenger shelter; destroyed by fire 1961

Haynes built 1913 (CNor 3rd class); sold 1963; demolished or removed
 
Canadian National
Stations along the former Canadian Northern Western Railway (Brazeau subdivision) Mirror-Red Deer-Rocky Mountain House-Nordegg
(line still active from Mirror to Rocky Mountain House and Ram River)
Endiang subdivision
(originally part of Brazeau sub) east of Alix to Warden (abandoned)

Alix built 1912 (CNor 3rd class); abandoned 1922 after creation of Canadian National and change of crew from Big Valley to Mirror; relocated to GTP site for Three Hills sub station in 1927; demolished 1975

Nevis built 1912 (CNor 3rd class); sold 1962

Warden Jct. (on Stettler sub) built 1915 (CNor 4th class); destroyed by fire 1919; replaced by CNor 3rd class station 1919; stuccoed 1942; sold and demolished 1984

Canadian National
Stations along the former Grand Trunk Pacific Railway
Three Hills subdivision south of Mirror
(mainline between Calgary and Edmonton still active)

Mirror CNR stationMirror (division point) built 1911 (GTP Design 'E' - larger version of Type E); stucco applied 1944; destroyed by fire 1975

Alix built 1911 (GTP Type E); converted to section house 1927; CNor 3rd class station relocated to site 1927 - demolished 1975

Ardley CNR station on farm 2010 - PettypieceArdley built 1911 (GTP Type E); stucco applied 1936; closed 1965; purchased for $30 and relocated 1967 to farm outside of community
Delburne CN Station at Anthony Henday Museum 2007 - Pettypiece
Delburne
built 1912 (GTP Type E); stucco applied 1922; relocated a few blocks in 1978 to Anthony Henday Museum

Lousana built 1912 (GTP Type E); retired 1959; demolished or removed

Elnora built 1911 (GTP Type E); stucco applied 1922; demolished 1975

Huxley built 1913 (GTP Type E); stucco applied 1922; demolished 1976

Three Hills GTP Type F station at museum 2012 - PettypieceTrochu built 1912 (GTP Type E); replaced 1959

Three Hills built 1912 (GTP Type E); replaced 1919 (GTP Type F stucco); relocated a few blocks to Kneehill Historical Museum

Swalwell (GTP Type E) built 1912
Grainger (GTP Type F) built 1919
Bircham (GTP Type E) built 1912
Beiseker (GTP Type E) built 1913
Irricana (GTP Type E) built 1911
(Over 350 stations in the Class E category were built in Western Canada)

Canadian National
Stations along the former Canadian Northern Alberta Midland Railway south and north of Stettler

(line abandoned but portion between Stettler and Big Valley used by Alberta Prairie Steam Tours)


Big Valley CN Station 2007 - PettypieceBig Valley (division point 1914-1923) built 1912 (CNor Second class); closed 1967; restored as historic site and terminus of Alberta Prairie Steam Tours
Stettler Canadian Northern station at museum 2010 - Pettypiece
S
tettler built 1911 (CNor Second class); relocated a few blocks to Town & Country Museum Stettler 

Warden built 1919 (CNor 3rd class); stucco applied 1942; demolished 1984
 
Red Willow built 1910 (CNor 3rd class); demolished 1984

Donalda built 1911 (CNor 3rd class); stucco applied 1937; demolished; CNor 4th class 1909 station relocated to site from Vandura Saskatchewan and restored
Meeting Creek preserved CNor 3rd class station 2013 - Pettypiece
Meeting Creek built 1913 (CNor 3rd class); stucco applied 1937; closed 1981; restored 1987

Edberg built 1910 (CNor 3rd class); sold 1983
CNR Camrose station 2013 - Pettypiece
Camrose built 1911 (CNor 3rd class); stucco applied 1937; closed 1988; restored 1993; used as museum and headquarters for CNor Historical Society
 
Canadian National
Canadian Northern Stettler subdivision
south of Big Valley

Rowley CNor Station 2012 - PettypieceScollard built 1911 (CNor 3rd class)

Rumsey built 1912 (CNor 3rd class)

Rowley built 1922 (CNor 3rd class)

Morrin built 1912 (CNor 3rd class)


Railway Station Architecture as a Heritage and Tourism Theme


Photo descriptions and credits:
Header: Red Deer CPR 1910 station, park and C&ER 1891 combination station as freight house 1911
     (Red Deer Archives P3202);
Red Deer CPR 1910 station streetside (Paul Pettypiece 2007);
Red Deer CNR 1923 station 1955 (Red Deer Archives P7009);
former relocated ACR station now residence (Paul Pettypiece 2009);
Wetaskiwin CPR 1908 station 1914 (source unknown);
Red Deer CPR 1910 station, park and C&ER 1891 combination station as freight house 1911
     (Red Deer Archives P3202);
Red Deer CPR 1910 station trackside (Paul Pettypiece 1985);
Penhold 1904 CPR early standard #2 station RCAF recruits 1940 (Red Deer Archives P3416);
Innisfail Calgary & Edmonton Railway 1891 station 1890s (Glenbow Archives NA-1709-71);
Bowden CPR 1904 standard #2 station at Innisfail Historical Village (Paul Pettypiece 2009);
Didsbury 1904 CPR Pratt station (Paul Pettypiece 2011);
Crossfield 1933 CPR standard #4A station relocated as residence (Paul Pettypiece 2012);
Lacombe CPR 1911 special woodframe station 1916 (Canadian Pacific Archives);
Ponoka C&ER 1891 combination station c1910 (Fort Ostell Museum Ponoka);
Wetaskiwin 1908 CPR station 1914 (source unknown);
Leduc CPR standard A2 Western station 1972 (source unknown);
former relocated ACR 1911 station now residence (Paul Pettypiece 2009);
Sylvan Lake 1924 CPR standard #14A station (source unknown)
former Benalto CPR 1928 standard #14A station as residence (Paul Pettypiece 2009);
Clive CPR standard A2 Western station (date and source unknown);
Stettler CPR standard #14A station (source & date unknown);
Camrose 1907 CPR standard #10 station 1911 (Glenbow Archives NA-4014-16);
Aspen Beach Gull Lake CPR station (source & date unknown);
Beiseker 1910 CPR standard A2 Western station (Paul Pettypiece 2011);
Red Deer CNR 1923 station 1955 (Red Deer Archives P7009);
Sylvan Lake CNoR 1913 3rd class station c1940 (Sylvan Lake Archives);
Rocky Mountain House Lochearn CPR 1920 standard A3 station 1921 (source unknown);
Prentiss 1912 Canadian Northern 3rd class station 1945 (Ellis photo);
Ardley GTP 1911 type E station now farm building (Paul Pettypiece 2010);
Mirror 1911 Grand Trunk Pacific Design E station (date & source unknown);
Delburne GTP 1912 type E station at Anthony Henday Museum (Paul Pettypiece 2007);
Three Hills 1919 Grand Trunk Pacific type F station at Kneehill Historical Museum (Paul Pettypiece 2012);
Big Valley CNor 1912 2nd class station restored (Paul Pettypiece 2007);
Stettler 1911 Canadian Northern 2nd class station (Paul Pettypiece 2010);
Meeting Creek 1913 Canadian Northern 3rd class station restored (Paul Pettypiece 2013);
Camrose CNor 1911 3rd class station restored (Paul Pettypiece 2013);
Rowley CNor 1922 3rd class station restored (Paul Pettypiece 2012)

Photos courtesy of Red Deer Archives, Glenbow Archives, Canadian Pacific Archives, Sylvan Lake Archives, Fort Ostell Museum Ponoka and Paul Pettypiece. A few have an unknown source.
 

 
Railway Stations of the Region
C & ER Combination Stations
Portable Stations
Red Deer CPR 1910 Station
Role of Railway Stations
Red Deer's 4 Stations
CPR Stations in Central Alberta
CNR Stations in Central Alberta
Multiple Station Communities
Station Plans
 

 
The Railways of Central Alberta
Calgary & Edmonton Railway
C & E Railway at Red Deer
Alberta Central Railway
Canadian Northern Railway
Canadian Northern Western RR
Canadian National Railway in RD
Grand Trunk Pacific Central Alberta
Lacombe & Blindman Valley RR
Timetable Excerpts
 
 
Trails, Transit, Trains
Trails and Trains Overview
Trains and Transit Overview

Milestones 1910-13
Calgary Edmonton Trail
Transit in Central Alberta
Red Deer Transit

Jubilee 3001 Chinook
Locomotives Central Alberta
Rise and Fall of Passenger Rail

 

Bridges, Structures, Heritage
Rail Structures of Region
Central Alberta Rail Bridges

Mintlaw Trestle
Alberta's Railway Bridges
Western Canada Rail Bridges



 

 

Home | Why Forth Junction? | FAQ | Media News
 Collections Policy | Bibliography | Copyright, Terms of Use, Privacy Policy

website developed by Forth Junction Heritage Society.
Copyright 2009-2022  All Rights Reserved.