Plan for the
Re-Creation of the Calgary & Edmonton Railway Museum
the Forth Junction Heritage Society secures land for the proposed
rail park, the next priority is to construct a replication of the
1891 Calgary & Edmonton Railway (now CPR) wood combination station
and freight house, to store and exhibit the recently-acquired
collection of railway artifacts gifted to us by the Junior League of
Edmonton from the now-closed Calgary and Edmonton Railway Station
Museum in south Edmonton.
Ten of these virtually identical stations were
built during the summer of 1891 at approximately 18 mile intervals
between Calgary and Edmonton. They were constructed at Airdrie, Carstairs, Olds, Innisfail,
Red Deer, Lacombe, Ponoka, Wetaskiwin, Leduc, Strathcona (south
Edmonton). A handful
of similar stations were also built south of Calgary.
Most of these stations were replaced by larger and newer structures
but some remained in service until the 1960s. Several were modified
as needs and functions evolved with relocated windows, doors and
chimneys. Some had additions for freight, express and living
quarters. None have been preserved.
It is anticipated that
Red Deer generic version of 1891 or the Innisfail version that had
been modified by the end of the 1890s will be replicated for the
Calgary & Edmonton Railway Museum as well as a C&E Railway research
and archive facility and meeting room.
When the 1891 Red Deer station was replaced in 1910, the original
was relocated, expanded and used as a freight house until the 1950s.
A replication of this expanded freight house structure may be used to house a portion of a historical miniature world model rail
exhibit and also function as a workshop for additional
miniature world exhibits.
Gifted Artifacts from former Calgary &
Edmonton Station Museum
The Forth Junction Heritage Society plans to
replicate the original 1891 combination railway station to house its
current collection of artifacts.
of these artifacts and materials were gifted to the Society by the
Junior League of Edmonton, operators of the former Calgary &
Edmonton (1891) Station Museum in Strathcona, which was, in itself,
a replication of the original 1891 station. They were originally
acquired to display and preserve in its 1981 replication of the
original C & E combination station
The Collection is illustrative of significant events, techniques,
personalities and surroundings in the history of the Calgary &
Edmonton station, the railway and the telegraph, concentrating on
the period of 1891 to 1907.
The Forth Junction Heritage Society
intends to expand the research and interpretation of the C & E
Railway as well as to replicate a few versions of the original
This collection includes about 60 transportation items (mostly
railway-related including a station-mounted semaphore signal),
several pieces of furniture and office equipment (including 4 8-foot
benches), 2 wall clocks, wood burning stove, 12 pieces of telegraph
equipment, 55 historic photographs, 31 articles of clothing, books,
domestic pieces and 3 large display cases.
See: A comprehensive guide to the Calgary & Edmonton Railway 1891
Combination Station and Freight House -
and Mann influenced the design of Central Alberta's first railway
Study in Railway Architecture' - a planned series of
railway station replications
See: History of 'The
Calgary & Edmonton Railway'
A big thank you to
the gifting of the 200+ item collection of the
Calgary & Edmonton Railway Station Museum
to the Forth Junction Heritage Society in September 2018
This collection will be carefully stored until the
Society can find or build a facility to exhibit and
interpret the artifacts and the history of the Calgary &
Edmonton Railway (1890 to 1907) in an appealing way as
part of a transportation-themed group of attractions in
a family-oriented rail park
in the immediate Red Deer area.
Transportation from Edmonton and storage in the Red Deer area has
been made possible by a Culture Opportunities Grant from the City of