Contact Us | About the Society | Membership | Sitemap   

 
  CPR bridge downtown Red Deer 1987

Forth Junction Project
Alberta Central
Historical Miniature Rail
and Landmark Display

 
Forth Junction Project Vision Sharing Historical Perspective Ground Transportation
Heritage Preservation
Forth Junction
Heritage Society

 
2005

Alberta centennial and over a decade since Red Deer rail yard relocation from downtown in 1991

Dayliner through Innisfail- Alberta celebrates 100 years since the province was incorporated. Previously, it was part of the Northwest Territories of Canada.
- 14 years since the relocation of the Red Deer downtown CPR yards to the west side of the city. The chateau-style station has been preserved in its original location, used as a commercial building.
- 45 years since the relocation of the CNR downtown yards to the north side of the river which has now been mostly abandoned although there are still customers in the Riverside Heavy Industrial area including the GATX rail car maintenance facility.
- country grain elevators are mostly gone although a few regional high output elevators are being built to replace them.
- the 40-foot boxcar is gone, replaced mostly by containers, covered hoppers and larger box cars.
- oil and gas facilities as well as petrochemicals create huge demand for various types of tank cars and large covered hoppers for plastic pellets.
- Cabooses were mostly phased out by 1992.
- Alberta 'Take a break' blue cylindrical hopper car paint scheme introduced in 1990.
- the historic Mintlaw trestle was purchased by Red Deer County for possible future trail and interpretive centre.
- the White Rose/Shell refinery at Bowden was sold to Parkland and closed in 2001.
- Canada Packers in Red Deer Riverside Heavy Industrial area closed in 1992. Fletchers was taken over by Olymel which discontinued rail service around 1994. GATX rail car repair facility expanded and is still very active. Served by CNR spur from North Junction.
- Rahr Malting built a malthouse at Alix in 1993 served by both CNR and CPR.
- Custom Bulk Services built an off-loading facility at Penhold in 1997.
- Central Western Railway acquired the CNR Stettler sub in 1986 and the CPR Coronation sub in 1992. With the continuing loss of grain traffic, the company was operated for a short time by RailLink and suspended operations in 1997. Alberta Prairie acquires the line between Stettler and Big Valley for train excursions periodically using restored CNR 6060.
- Agricore acquires Alberta and Manitoba Wheat Pools in 1998. UGG acquires Agricore in 2001 to become Agricore United.



 

1892 - The beginning of a regional centre     1913 - The headiness of rapid expansion     1939 - The glory days of passenger service
1955 - Transition and change     1967 - Canada's centennial     1985 - Last passenger train in region      2005 - Alberta's centennial
Innisfail Historical Model Rail Exhibit         Historic Model Railway Concept         World-Class Model Rail Museums
 

Forth Junction Park Concept       Railway Station Architecture       Future Historical Miniature Rail Exhibits       Ultimate Vision
 

Home | Why Forth Junction? | FAQ | Media News
 Collections Policy | Bibliography | Copyright, Terms of Use, Privacy Policy

website developed by Forth Junction Heritage Society.
Copyright 2009-2021  All Rights Reserved.